The sublime in opposition to the rational thinking of the enlightenment romantics often seek the sublime defined the passion caused by the great and sublime in nature is astonishment and astonishment is that state of the soul in which all its motions are suspended with some degree of horror. The sublime evades easy definition today the word is used for the most ordinary reasons for a sublime tennis shot or a sublime evening in the history of ideas it has a deeper meaning pointing to the heights of something truly extraordinary an ideal that artists have long pursued . Burke on the sublime ed j t bolton 58 in addition to the emphasis which he places on terror burke is important because he explained the opposition of beauty and sublimity by a physiological theory
How it works:
1. Register a Free 1 month Trial Account.
2. Download as many books as you like ( Personal use )
3. No Commitment. Cancel anytime.
4. Join Over 100.000 Happy Readers.
5. That's it. What you waiting for? Sign Up and Get Your Books.